Baker & Taylor
Describes how to fix glitches found on a PC, covering such topics as email, Microsoft Windows, the Internet, Microsoft Office, hardware, and music and video.Ingram Book Company
This second edition covers the gamut of common PC frustrations, gripes, nuisances, bellyaches, and worse, with fixes for everything from Windows glitches to browsers that won't browse.Book News
Bass, a contributing editor and columnist for PC World, gives instructions for fixing the most common PC annoyances. Tasks are in sections on e-mail, Windows, Office, hardware, file management, the Internet, and CD, music, video, and audio annoyances. The book is attractive and reader friendly, with a two-color layout and a sense of humor, but instructions are not always spelled out in step-by-step detail and seem most useful to the reader who is at least at the advanced beginner stage. The book is linked to a web site with 150 free tools and utilities aimed at ridding PCs of annoyances. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)Ingram Publishing Services
In every PC user's life, there's a point when desperate measures must be taken. Some push their PC off a pier or chuck it into a landfill. Others turn their former computing ally into a planter box. But don't give up on your PC yet--help is at hand. This easy to read, accessible book from PC World expert Steve Bass covers the waterfront of PC gripes and gremlins, with fixes for everything from Windows glitches to browsers that won't browse. Each fix is served up in bite-sized portions for quick reading--and even quicker fixing. A revised version of its best-selling predecessor, the 2nd edition offers 50 additional pages and over 120 new fixed annoyances. This reader-friendly book tackles problems related to a wide-ranging number of topics:
- Windows--King of Annoyances! learn how to kick Windows in the rear, overcome glitches, take charge of the interface, live with the dreaded Service Pack 2
- Hardware--wake up your DSL, tame your notebook, silence your PC's fan, work wonders with your scanner, and save paper
- Email--from Outlook to Eudora! Defeat spam, avoid mailing list hassles, send big files, manage folders
- Microsoft Office--learn workarounds for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint that help you back up the unbackable and automate data entry
- Internet--shake up IE, stop Flash, outsmart defaults, control Favorites, add the Google toolbar to Netscape
Plus, you get access to more than one hundred utilities that will help you squash bugs, enhance your email, untangle a system snarl, and much more. If your PC has ever annoyed you (do we see several billion raised hands?), PC Annoyances
is for you. With the flip of a page or two, you can fix that faux pas and have your PC purring again.
This second edition covers the gamut of common PC frustrations, gripes, nuisances, bellyaches, and worse, with fixes for everything from Windows glitches to browsers that won't browse.