Patient and Family GuideBook - 2008
Epilepsy is the most common neurologic disorder in children, adults, and the elderly, affecting over 2.7 million people in the United States. Every year almost 200,000 people will be diagnosed with epilepsy and will face drastic lifestyle changes but a proper understanding of epilepsy is the first step toward managing this disease and living life to the fullest.
Epilepsy: Patient and Family Guide, 3rd Edition offers a comprehensive and authoritative discussion of epilepsy for the patient. Written by a leading expert in the field, this extensively updated third edition incorporates many comments and suggestions from real patients and their families. This guide will answer commonly asked questions about epilepsy, dispel uncertainties and fears, and encourage those diagnosed with epilepsy to become strong advocates in their medical care.
- The nature and diversity of seizures
- The factors that can cause or prevent seizures
- The most current information about all antiepileptic drugs
- Medical, surgical, and alternative therapies for seizures
- Legal, financial, and employment issues